The European Forest Institute Technical Assistance Project (EFITAP) Guyana supports the Government of Guyana to implement a range of forest governance reforms framed in the Guyana-EU VPA. Supported by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), EFITAP focuses on aspects of:
- Increased controls through supporting the development of the GTLAS,
- Relevant stakeholder engagements in the implementation process,
- Increased transparency and accountability,
- Improved dialogue on communities’ land rights, and
- An improved legal framework.
Scope of Work
EFI will help the Government prepare for implementation of the VPA in the initial phase of the JIF via six outcomes. Building on the JIF strategic tasks and relevant outputs, the project will deliver key results through support start-up actions within the following outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Strengthened and more transparent legality control system designed.
- Outcome 2: Strengthened regulatory framework through harmonisation of the governing Acts and relevant procedures of TLAS agencies.
- Outcome 3: Increased capacity of stakeholders to implement the legality control system.
- Outcome 4: Increased Transparency in the forestry sector through the establishment of an information-sharing mechanism
- Outcome 5: Outreach increased with key stakeholders in preparation for implementation.
- Outcome 6: Supporting the GRM to facilitate the handling of Amerindian land rights issues.