Joint Monitoring and Review Committee
A Pre-Joint Monitoring and Review Committee (Pre-JMRC) will be established to guide the initial implementation of the VPA. It will be co-chaired by senior officials from the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) on behalf of Guyana and the Delegation of the European Union (EU).
The main tasks of the Pre-JMRC are:
- To facilitate the exchange of information between Guyana and the EU.
- To serve as the platform to discuss planning and preparation of the implementation of the Agreement before it enters into force.
- To monitor progress in the design and implementation of the GTLAS and the Agreement.
When the Agreement formally enters into force after its ratification, the Pre-JMRC will be replaced by the Joint Monitoring and Review Committee (JMRC).
Functions of the JMRC will include:
- Conducting an independent assessment of GTLAS. The evaluation will determine whether the GTLAS fulfils its functions.
- Proposing the date on which the FLEGT Licensing Scheme should be fully operational.
- Receiving notification from Guyana or the EU if either party suspects or has evidence of any circumvention or irregularity in implementing the Licensing Scheme. Then identify any required follow-up.
- Developing and adopting the Implementation Schedule and a monitoring and evaluation framework to track the schedule’s progress.
- Reviewing and commenting on the GTLAS implementation guidelines, verification manuals and the methodology and criteria.
- Examining complaints relating to the FLEGT Licensing scheme.
- Maintaining records made to the Annexes and minutes of relevant meetings with stakeholder groups to track changes and decisions.
- Making recommendations to help attain the Agreement’s objectives.
- Establishing working groups as needed to address any aspects of the Agreement’s implementation requiring special attention.
- Preparing and publishing Annual Reports on the Agreement’s implementation.
- Receiving and discussing proposals from Guyana or the EU seeking to amend the Agreement or its Annexes. Further, submit recommendations to both parties on any proposed amendments to this Agreement. Also, adopt any amendments.
- Handling all questions associated with the Agreement’s implementation, following Guyana and/or the EU proposal.
- Seeking an acceptable solution where there are any differences of opinion between Guyana or the EU concerning the Agreement’s application and/or interpretation.
First Meeting of the Pre-JMRC
EU-Guyana Aide Mémoire
Download the aide-mémoire from the first Pre-Joint Monitoring and Review Committee (JMRC) meeting on March 10, 2022, in Georgetown, Guyana.
- Updated Joint Implementation Framework (JIF) | Download
- Comments on the VPA by the Indigenous Peoples Organisations of Guyana | Download
- Comments on the VPA by the Forest Products Association and Guyana Manufacturing & Services Association Ltd | Download
- Comments on the VPA by Conservation International – Guyana, WWF-Guianas and the Iwokrama International Center for Rainforest Conservation and Development | Download
- Proposal for an EU Deforestation Regulation | Download
- AFD EU FLEGT Programme | Download
- EFITAP Guyana | Download
- FLEGT Secretariat Capacity Assessment | Download
Members of JMRC
List coming soon