The FLEGT Licensing Authority in Guyana will be the Timber Legality and Trade Unit (TLTU) of the Guyana Forestry Commission.
As the official authority for issuing FLEGT Licences, the unit would be responsible for:
- Defining and establishing the competence requirements for personnel, management structures and internal controls before the FLEGT licensing scheme can become operational.
- Informing the Management Information System Unit (MISU) of the GFC of the Export Request Forms received, rejected, and the FLEGT licences issued.
- Developing a numbering system for FLEGT licences enabling differentiation between FLEGT licences destined to the EU market and all other export documents required.
- Issuing a single extension valid for a period not exceeding three (3) months at the request of the licensee and introducing and validating any new expiration dates.
- When extending the validity, withdrawal or replacement of a FLEGT licence, inform the competent authority of the relevant EU Member State.
- Aiming to guarantee the authenticity of FLEGT licences and to prevent erasures or alterations.
- Exchanging information between Guyana and the FLEGT competent authorities of the EU Member state and other competent authorities of Guyana on issues related to FLEGT licences.